Analysts do not expect the first quarter report to be a major catalyst for banks, given continuing pressure on margins, slowing capital markets revenues, a seasonal softening in loan growth and an expected decline in mortgage banking income.
"Despite rising 1Q estimates, given 1) sequentially slowing trends throughout the quarter, and 2) our view that 1Q beats will not be large enough to significantly raise investor views of long-term earnings power - we remain on the sidelines with most of these names," Citigroup analyst Keith Horowitz said in an April 2 report. "Given the stocks' recent runs, looking out over the next 12 months we believe higher valuations are more likely to be dependent on higher earnings power rather than a repeat of last year's large-scale multiple expansion."
For universal banks including
Bank of America
(BAC), JPMorgan Chase and
(C) fundamentals appear to have stalled, according to Atlantic Equities analyst Richard Staite. "Outside of principal investment gains and other market-driven revenues, fundamental top-line growth is fairly modest at the moment as the capital markets recovery remains in fits-and-starts mode," he wrote. "Seasonal factors have helped drive sequential improvements in some areas, but
Here is a round-up of what to expect from the big four banks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV