NEW YORK, April 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fixed mortgage rates retreated after some lukewarm economic reports, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate pulling back to 3.73 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.3 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate dipped to 2.95 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage fell to 4.07 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were mixed, with the 3-year ARM and 5-year ARM inching higher to 2.98 percent and 2.72 percent, respectively. The 10-year ARM slipped to 3.26 percent, the lowest since late February.Following the events in Cyprus and now some uninspiring economic data here in the U.S., mortgage rates have pulled back for three consecutive weeks to the lowest levels in a month. But jobs are the next likely catalyst for mortgage rates, as the monthly jobs report supplants all other economic data in taking the temperature of the economy, particularly with the Fed specifically citing the unemployment rate as a key marker in their monetary policy. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate currently at 3.73 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $923.96, a difference of $158 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.73% -- down from 3.75% last week (avg. points: 0.30) 15-year fixed: 2.95% -- down from 2.97% last week (avg. points: 0.30)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV