PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- The age of the 40-miles-per-gallon vehicle is upon us, and automakers are starting to hit that mark with much greater frequency as the national emissions deadline approaches.
Under a fuel economy standard passed by President Barack Obama in 2009, all new cars manufactured for use in the U.S. will have to average 42 miles per gallon or better by 2016 to be sold here. The price for missing that mark is $5 for every 0.1 mile over the bar for each vehicle produced. That's a tough number to meet, even with the restrictions relaxed to just 26 miles per gallon for trucks, but auto manufacturers around the world seem up for it.
The folks at Kelley Blue Book compiled a list of the top low-mileage vehicles available in the Class of 2013 and came up with a whopping 25 that hit the roads at 40 mpg or better in both the city and on highways. With electric vehicles encroaching on the combustible engine's turf, even the term "miles per gallon" finds itself in need of a tweak.
In the interest of simplicity, we've narrowed Kelley Blue Book's list to the Top 10. While some come by that 40 miles per gallon honestly, the majority on this list are judged by the Environmental Protection Agency's "miles per gallon equivalent" standard that declares 33.7 kilowatt hours of electricity equal to one gallon of gasoline. That said, let's hit the road and find out who's getting the most mileage for the money:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV