McLEAN, Va., April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) today honored winners of its annual companywide employee awards program, in addition to its Unsung Heroes, at a ceremony held at Gannett corporate headquarters.
Gannett announced winners for 2012 Manager of the Year, Innovator of the Year, Sales Executive of the Year, Corporate Staffer of the Year, the Leadership & Diversity Unit Award, Individual Leadership & Diversity Award and the Greater Good Awards.
In addition, Gannett launched two new categories – Content Awards and Best Client Solution.
"We are very proud of all of the winners, finalists and Unsung Heroes and what they have accomplished. They represent the very best of Gannett and reflect the strong values and the creativity of our culture. We are thankful for their many efforts on behalf of the company," said Gracia C. Martore, president and CEO at Gannett.Award winners and the finalists are:
- Manager of the Year – Lynn Beall, executive vice president/Gannett Broadcasting, and president and general manager, KSDK-TV, St. Louis. Finalists: Evan Ray, president of Gannett Publishing Services; and Judi Terzotis, president and publisher, Fort Collins Coloradoan.
- Innovator of the Year – Josh Awtry, executive editor, Fort Collins Coloradoan. Finalists: Bill Brintlinger, director of national promotions, Clipper Magazine; and Julia Thompson, senior news director/digital and breaking news, The Des Moines Register.
- Sales Executive of the Year – Charlotte Kralik, sales executive, The Des Moines Register. Finalists: David Marks, senior marketing consultant, Clipper Magazine; and Samantha Taylor, telesales executive/advertising, East Wales, Newsquest.
- Corporate Staffer of the Year – Rick Baker, director of newspaper and media application services, Gannett Information Technology. Finalists: Asa Darrow, vice president/design strategy, Gannett Broadcasting; and Karen Giroux, manager/market information and assessment, U.S. Community Publishing.
- Best Client Solution – Digital Ventures – Gannett Healthcare Group (Melyni Serpa, publisher; Lance Pine, vice president/business development/strategic partnerships; Phil Guarrera, national sales manager; Jennifer Chaikin, executive director/educational initiatives – and team; Alison Reichert, executive director/education events – and team; Noreen Francis, vice president/creative services – and team). Finalists: U.S. Community Publishing – Fort Collins ( Judi Terzotis, president and publisher; Janice Mount, sales executive; Marge Brodahl, client solutions manager; Joe Harmon, key account sales manager; Tyler Kidd, digital sales manager; Kathy Jack-Romero, advertising director); Broadcast – KUSA ( Mark Cornetta, president and general manager; Jaime Begal, account executive; Melissa Lindstrom, sales manager; Robert Springer, director/advertising and promotions); and National Sales ( Jessica Troutman, project lead; Maureen Desmond, vice president/advertising sales; Francie Baroody, account director; Jamie Romaezi, project manager; Shannon Hettinger, project manager).
- Greater Good Award, Individual – Mike Donoghue, reporter, The Burlington (VT) Free Press; Finalist: Alison Young, investigative reporter, USA TODAY.
- Greater Good Award, Unit – News-Leader Media Group, Springfield, MO. Finalists: KUSA/KTVD-TV, Denver, CO; and The Advocate, Newark, OH.
- Content Awards:
- Breaking News/Big Story Coverage – staff, KUSA-TV, Denver. Finalist: staff, The Courier-Journal, Louisville, KY.
- Visual Journalism/Photo – Valerie Mosley, multimedia reporter/visuals, News-Leader Media Group, Springfield, MO. Finalist: Shelley Mays, photographer, The Tennessean, Nashville.
- Visual Journalism/Video – Brian Kaufman, videographer, Detroit Free Press. Finalist: Andy Sugden, director/photography, WZZM-TV, Grand Rapids, MI.
- Watchdog Journalism – Toni Dew, team leader, Anita Wadhwani, reporter, Tony Gonzalez, reporter, The Tennessean, Nashville. Finalist: staff, The Journal News, Westchester, NY.
- Writing/ Long Form – Jennifer Portman, senior writer, Tallahassee (FL) Democrat. Finalist: Jaye Watson, general assignment reporter, WXIA-TV/WATL-TV, Atlanta.
- Writing/Short Form – Brenda Wood, main anchor and reporter, WXIA-TV/WATL-TV, Atlanta. Finalist: staff, Fort Collins Coloradoan .
- Public Service Journalism – "Ghost Factories" team, USA TODAY. Finalist: news staff, WKYC-TV, Cleveland, OH.
- Use of Integrated Media – "Ghost Factories" team, USA TODAY. Finalist: The Desert Sun Information Center, The Desert Sun, Palm Springs, CA.
- Leadership and Diversity, Individual – David Plazas, engagement editor, The News-Press, Fort Myers, FL. Finalists: Ellen Crooke, vice president/regional news executive, WXIA/WATL, Atlanta; Rachel Jones, customer service supervisor, Customer Service Center; and Donna Peterson, vice president/audience development, Gannett Government Media, Springfield, VA.
- Leadership and Diversity, Unit – The Greenville (SC) News. Finalists: Gannett Healthcare, Falls Church, VA; Pacific Daily News, Hagatna, Guam; The Desert Sun, Palm Springs, CA; The Arizona Republic/KPNX-TV, Phoenix; and KXTV-TV, Sacramento, CA.
- Paul Doughty, production manager, WCSH-TV, Portland, ME;
- Craig Johnson, senior graphic artist, The Des Moines Register;
- Linda Masters, online editor, The Baxter Bulletin, Mountain Home, AR;
- Jay Merrifield, senior developer, Gannett Digital;
- Alex Taranukha, senior director of Architecture, Infrastructure and Engineering, Gannett Digital Marketing Services (formerly for ShopLocal).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV