NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When it comes to investing ideas that sound too good to be true, they're usually unverifiable. Yet hundreds of thousands of investors and traders are always looking for the next "never-before-offered, one-of-a-kind system" that will beat the investment markets most of the time.
If you're fully invested in the hottest sectors and you don't own shares of Apple (AAPL) or precious metals stocks, you're most likely not going to be as interested in this topic.
On a day like April 3, wouldn't it have been great to be the owner of a few hundred shares of Astex Pharmceuticals (ASTX), which popped almost 10% when the company announced that 13 of its abstracts have been accepted for presentation at the American Association of Cancer Research, which begins April 6 in Washington, D.C.
Or perhaps, like myself, you'd be satisfied to own shares of iShares Japan Index ETF (EWJ), which, as the following chart shows us, has had an impressive year preceded by a few dismal ones.
EWJ data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV