First, for this thing to work as well as Tesla claims it does from a fuel economy standpoint, you have to drive an absolute gas guzzler by today's emerging standards.
$5.00 a gallon for premium fuel. 19 MPG on your current car? WTF? Are they serious?
The Model S continues to pop up all over the streets of Southern California. Toyota's (TMC) Prius happens to be one of the top selling cars in the state. The Prius accounts for one in five cars sold in California. Tons of different people buy them. Rich. Upper middle class. Middle class. Me. I just bought one a couple months back.
I'm averaging somewhere between 40 and 45 miles per gallon. For the record, I think Jennifer Aniston drives a Prius.I did the math. I need to ask for a raise. Thanks, in part, to how much I work my time isn't "worth" anywhere near $100 an hour. Opportunity cost sounds great as a marketing hook, but, practically speaking, for most people, it's shallow rhetoric. And, by the way, Elon ... See how much time you save in the standard California carpool lane, particularly in Los Angeles County. Not much. And does it really take you 15 minutes to drive to a gas station and fill up? I can do it in less than 10 without breaking a sweat.
Like I said, play with the numbers. Musk insulted our intelligence hyping the snot out of this big announcement. I am sure the scribes who stayed at work late last night aren't happy. Think about all of the other things they could have been doing with their time! But, more than that, you have a premium product. Rich people in places such as Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are buying it. There's no need to sell them a bill of goods. And, even worse, upon further inspection, the bill of goods will do very little to motivate the rest of us to get into a Model S, even if we are willing and able. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV