Women And Guns: New Ad And Research Show How Weak Gun Laws Turn Domestic Abuse Into Murder
Mayors Against Illegal Guns and the Center for American Progress to Host Events Across The Country Today on Role of Guns in Violence Against Women and New CAP Report
Gun Owner and NRA Member Elvin Daniel's Sister Zina Killed By Estranged Husband Who Purchased a Gun Online Without a Background Check ; www.DemandAction.org
NEW YORK, April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Mayors Against Illegal Guns continues its push for commonsense gun law reforms today with a new ad and research highlighting the disturbing link between violence against women and guns. The ad features Elvin Daniel, a gun owner and NRA member whose sister Zina Daniel was murdered in the Brookfield, Wisconsin, spa shooting in October 2012. Several days after she obtained a restraining order against her violent estranged husband – which made him a prohibited purchaser – he bought a semiautomatic handgun from a private online seller without a background check, which he used the next day to murder her and two other people. If Zina and her husband lived in nearby Michigan, where a background check is required for every handgun sale, she and the other victims might still be alive today. In fact, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has found that in states that require a background check for every handgun sale, 38 percent fewer women are shot to death by intimate partners. The ad can be viewed here: www.demandaction.org/elvin.
"Zina's story is a powerful reminder of how our country's broken gun laws – including the private sale loophole – contribute to the epidemic of gun violence and violence against women," said Mayors Against Illegal Guns Co-Chair and New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. "The vast majority of Americans support comprehensive and enforceable background checks – including gun owners like Elvin. And we need to make sure their voices are heard in Washington in the days and weeks ahead as Congress debates critically important gun safety legislation.""We are grateful to Elvin Daniel for telling his sister's story and for fighting for sensible reforms that will prevent more senseless violence," said Mayors Against Illegal Guns Co-Chair and Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino. "The numbers don't lie – think of all of the mothers, daughters, sisters and friends whose lives could have been saved if background checks were required for all gun sales. It's time for Washington to take action." The ad will air over the next week nationally and in Washington, D.C. and in states represented by both Democrats and Republicans – where they can most influence the upcoming Senate vote including Arizona, Arkansas, Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio and Pennsylvania. The coalition also released a new fact sheet and infographic on how violence against women is directly related to weak gun laws and how requiring a background check for every gun sale will save women's lives, including the following facts:
- Women in the U.S. are eleven times more likely to be murdered with guns than women in other high-income countries.
- Over the past 25 years, more intimate partner homicides in the U.S. have been committed with guns than with all other weapons combined.
- The presence of a gun in domestic violence situations increases the risk of homicide for women by 500 percent.
- Of women murdered with guns in the U.S. in 2010, more than half (54 percent) were killed by intimate partners or family members. Of the women murdered with guns in 2010 where the relationship to the offender was known, 64 percent were shot to death by a current or former intimate partner.
- An analysis by Mayors Against Illegal Guns found that a majority (57 percent) of mass shootings involves incidents of domestic violence.
- Background checks have already prevented more than 250,000 gun sales to domestic abusers.
- The organization also found that in states that require a background check for every handgun sale, 38 percent fewer women are shot to death by intimate partners.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts