Already the model is working. CircleUp was launched in 2011, but has only been operational for one year. In that time frame, the Web portal has already helped 12 companies raise $10 million in growth capital.
While the average food company on Kickstarter raises less than $10,000, the average company on CircleUp raises close to $1 million, according to the company.
The companies, on average, have had more than $1 million in annual revenue, are growing at more than 70% per year and raised money in just over two months, the company says.
"We think there is a huge opportunity in consumer.
Once the rules are settled, speculation regarding the potential for investment-based crowdfunding is astonishing. Some experts believe that equity crowdfunding could grow to be a $300-billion industry, but there are high hurdles to jump to get to that level, such as legal and cultural barriers to get past. "I think it's realistic, but you really have to look out not months, but years -- many, many years," angel investor Chris Camillo said at the inaugural Crowdfund Texas Conference in Austin. That said, Camillo, in an interview with TheStreet on Wednesday, said CircleUp's sector-specific focus is a good bet on the future of crowdfunding portals. "Specialization is at the core of crowdfunding portals," Camillo says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV