Berkery Noyes Releases Software Industry M&A Report For First Quarter 2013
NEW YORK, April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Berkery Noyes, an independent mid-market investment bank, today released its Q1 2013 mergers and acquisitions trend report for the Software Industry. The report analyzes M&A activity in the Software Industry during Q1 2013 and compares it with the past four quarters.
Transaction volume declined seven percent on a quarter-to-quarter basis. Meanwhile, deal value in Q1 2013 decreased 53 percent over Q4 2012, from $15.8 billion to $7.4 billion. There was one software transaction above the $1 billion threshold, compared to three such deals in Q1 2012.
The top ten largest transactions accounted for 41 percent of the industry's aggregate value in Q1 2013, compared to 60 percent in Q1 2012. Each of the ten highest value software deals in Q1 2013 was completed by a strategic acquirer. Cisco made one of the industry's largest deals in the quarter, acquiring Intucell for $475 million. Aside from its $5 billion acquisition of NDS Group in Q1 2012, this was Cisco's largest Software Industry transaction since it acquired Starent Networks for $2.4 billion in Q4 2009.The Niche Software segment, which is targeted to specific vertical industries, underwent a six percent decrease in Q1 2013. Finance and healthcare transactions in the segment represented five of the top ten highest value software deals in Q1 2013. As for the finance vertical, SAP made a move in the insurance market with its acquisition of Camilion. Oracle, one of SAP's main rivals, acquired Skywire and AdminServer in the Insurance subsector back in 2008. Oracle has a history of making acquisitions to enter new verticals, as demonstrated by its Q4 2012 acquisition of DataRaker in the Energy sector.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV