News Summary: Portugal Government Under Pressure
By The Associated Press
ANGER: Opposition parties in Portugal presented a motion of no confidence in the government, giving voice to the country's widespread discontent.
THE RESULT: The government had enough votes to easily defeat the motion. But the political pressure added another dose of uncertainty into financial markets already jittery about the fate of Cyprus and the wider eurozone.
THE BACK STORY: Portugal needed a $100 billion rescue two years ago. The three-year bailout agreement locked Portugal into austerity policies which are now widely blamed for the steep economic downturn. Portugal is enduring a predicted third year of recession and a 17.5 percent jobless rate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV