April 3, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- A delegation of 12 Scottish companies are embarking on a trade mission to
New York City
to make new business connections while promoting
's investment opportunities across a variety of industries from fashion to finance.
This trade mission, sponsored by Scottish Development International, which is the international arm of Scottish Enterprise, the country's economic development organization, kicks off during
, the official event for celebrating Scottish business, culture, tourism and trade in
"Scottish exports increased overall by
to just under a total of
in 2011. While this growth signals the demand of Scottish products and services globally, the U.S. remains
's single largest export market at
, President, Americas, Scottish Development International. "Strong ties between
and the U.S. have produced mutual economic benefits over the years, so by showcasing
's unique companies and their capabilities to the top U.S. market, we hope to bolster both inward and outward investment to
metropolitan area serves as an ideal investment market for
due to both locations' shared success in industries such as bioscience, clean technology, energy, fashion, financial services and media and emerging technologies. Scottish companies looking to capitalize on opportunities in the
- Fashion and design groups Nikki McWilliams, Chouchou, Iona Crawford Limited and Hawick Knitwear.
- Online booking system RestaurantDiary.com, web design firm Organic Digital and the CGI visual studio, Soluis.
- Performance and production groups such as Scotland's The Walking Theatre Company and GMTA Ltd.
- High-tech manufacturer of oxygen, gas and fluid sensors, SST Sensing Ltd.
- Legal services firm Cloch Solicitors Limited.
"The Scotland Week trade mission harkens to
's resilient and diverse economy. We're already known for our rich history, warm people and creative culture and now more than ever, major markets are seeing investment benefits of
," adds Cusick.