NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer wanted me to take a victory lap on refinery stocks, which I mentioned were ready for a selloff two weeks ago and which have dropped almost 10% of their value in the last three days of trading.
To be fair, I wasn't particularly bullish on refiners during their big run over the last year, but the moment to take profits wasn't too hard for me to see.
That's because margins for the refiners, particularly for those in the mid-continent like HollyFrontier (HFC), CVR Energy (CVI) and Western Refining (WNR), were being stoked by a very wide West Texas Intermediate/Brent crude differential -- the WTI component representing what these refiners pay for crude and the Brent price representing what they were receiving for their finished gasoline product.
So, as the "spread" between the two began to moderate a few weeks ago, from near $20 to under $15, I wasn't shy about suggesting that maybe the run in the refiners would be nearing an end. That prediction has played itself out in the past three days.I talk more about the refiners with Jim in the video above. At the time of publication the author had no position in stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV