KVH's business model is another key part of the company's growth strategy. Rather than investing in its own satellites, the company leverages the readily available commercial FSS satellite capacity covering the world's oceans, provided by industry leaders like Intelsat, Eutelsat, SES, and SkyPerfect JSAT. Currently, the mini-VSAT Broadband network uses 17 leased transponders to cover the globe with a unique hybrid network including both C-band and Ku-band coverage. KVH's unique 1 meter, dual-mode TracPhone V11 antenna, the world's only global 1 meter maritime VSAT solution, seamlessly switches among C- and Ku-band frequencies as easily as the 60 cm TracPhone V7-IP antennas and 37 cm TracPhone V3 antennas switch among Ku-band satellites. As KVH's customer base grows, the company plans to lease additional capacity covering exactly the areas of the world where it is needed.
"Brazil's importance as an oil and gas producing region is increasing rapidly, and the global shipping industry is in dire need of reliable communications throughout the African region to help combat piracy and ensure the safety of crew members," said Mr. Bruun. "KVH's solution provides outstanding communications for all of these mariners, with downloads as fast as 4 Mbps and uploads as fast as 1 Mbps, as well as crystal clear Voice over IP (VoIP) telephone lines with optimized service and prioritization of applications. Expanding network capacity in these regions is the most recent illustration of our commitment to delivering services that mariners need, when and where they need them, in the most convenient way possible."
With more than 3,000 onboard terminals sold, mini-VSAT Broadband service is the world's fastest growing, most popular maritime VSAT solution, according to three independent industry research reports published in 2012 by Euroconsult, NSR, and Comsys.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV