Milk: The Bedtime Drink
Along with consuming the nighttime drink, milk, prior to bed, Dr. Shapiro encourages practicing the following nighttime routine:
- NO SUGAR - A bowl of frosted marshmallow flakes or a scoop of ice cream can be very tempting as nighttime snack. Sugary foods will cause a sudden spike in blood sugar levels, followed by a crash one to two hours later. This may lead to restlessness and nighttime wakening. Avoiding sugar will help relax the body before bed and enhance both depth of sleep and sleep quality. .
- SHUT OFF - Most of us aren't getting enough sleep because we're always "ON." We're over-scheduled and over-stimulated with television, computers, smartphones and other electronic devices. Why not dedicate the last hour before bed to YOU? Take the time to decompress, take a bath and turn off electronic devices. Doing so will keep your mind at peace, preparing you for a good night's rest.
- TO-DO LIST - If you find yourself thinking of things you need to do after you've left the office for the day, write them down on a piece of paper (or your phone's notepad) and put them away. Not only will you have a clear roadmap for the next morning, but you'll also clear your head and focus on rest.
For more tips from Dr. Shapiro and to view the new GOT MILK? ads, visit www.gotmilk.com.
About Dr. Nina Shapiro As a graduate of Cornell University and Harvard Medical School, Dr. Nina Shapiro has been on faculty of the UCLA Department of Head and Neck Surgery since 1997. She's currently an Associate Professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. At the Sleep Center, she has treated tens of thousands of patients with sleep disorders. She's the author of two books, including the bestseller "Take a Deep Breath", has written over 70 peer-reviewed journal articles and 14 book chapters. She is a regular guest on the TV show "The Doctors", and has appeared on "Extra" LifeChangers, CBS "The Early Show", NPR, the Los Angeles Times and The Hallmark Channel's "Home and Family."
About the California Milk Processor Board The California Milk Processor Board was established in 1993 to make milk more competitive and increase milk consumption in California. Awareness of GOT MILK? is over 90% nationally and it is considered one of the most important and successful campaigns in history. GOT MILK? is a federally registered trademark that has been licensed by the national dairy boards since 1995. The CMPB's Spanish-language campaign began in 1994 using the tagline "Familia, Amor y Leche" (Family, Love and Milk). The TOMA LECHE (Drink Milk) campaign replaced it in 2006, following a growing trend in Hispanic food advertising that uses wit and humor to reach audiences. GOT MILK? gifts and recipes can be viewed at www.gotmilk.com and www.tomaleche.com. The CMPB is funded by all California milk processors and administered by the California Department of Food and Agriculture. http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-related-problems/insomnia-and-sleep SOURCE California Milk Processor Board
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV