Deutsche Bank analyst Matt O'Connor notes that the "magnitude of interest rate rise is key." A 100 basis point -- 1 percentage point -- rise would likely be positive for banks because it will boost margins without meaningfully hurting book value. But a 300 basis point rise will likely hit Basel III Capital ratios by anywhere between 200 and 400 basis points, the analyst estimates. It would also hit mortgage production and lead to higher deposit costs.
Murray notes that regulators and banks are focused on this issue. The prospect of an interest rate shock figured prominently in the Federal Reserve's stress tests and bank disclosures suggest that their balance sheets are positioned for an interest rate rise, meaning banks will be able to improve their earnings over time.
The Fed has also been transparent in communicating its intentions to keep interest rates low and in providing thresholds for an interest rate rise.
Based on bank filings, Nomura believes Bank of America (BAC) and Regions Financial (RF) will benefit most from rising interest rates, based on the impact to their earnings per share. Huntington Bancorp (HBAN) and SunTrust (STI) could see pressure on interest-bearing deposits.Deutsche Bank's O'Connor believes JPMorgan Chase (JPM) will be best placed among the big banks, while Wells Fargo (WFC) stands to lose, since it has seen a 25% rise in its securities portfolio in the past two years and has a large mortgage business. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV