Online Labor Demand Down 158,000 In March
NEW YORK, April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Online advertised vacancies dropped 158,000 in March to 4,898,700 in The Conference Board Help Wanted OnLine® (HWOL) Data Series released today. The March drop follows a small dip in February (44,400); the two combined offset the January gain. The Supply/Demand rate stands at 2.4 unemployed for every vacancy. In February, there were 7 million more unemployed than the number of advertised vacancies, down from 11.9 million at the end of the recession in June 2009.
"Labor demand has been up and down for the last six months, leaving the new March level basically the same as it was in September 2012," said June Shelp, Vice President at The Conference Board. Sequestration, along with the indecision in Washington, has most likely taken its toll with employers in many industries hesitating to aggressively look for new workers. The unevenness in labor demand continues with unemployed workers in healthcare professions and business professions like computers, business, and finance finding ample job opportunities. Competition is stiffer with anywhere from 2 to 4 unemployed for every available opening in many lower-paying occupations (sales workers, office workers, food workers, transportation workers) (Table 7, page 14).
For more information, including press release and technical notes: http://www.conference-board.org/data/helpwantedonline.cfm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV