MELVILLE, N.Y., April 3, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- FalconStor Software, Inc. (Nasdaq:FALC), a market leader in disk-based data protection, today announced the results of IDG Research Services' quick poll, "Backup Technologies; the Tale of the Tape." The independent survey shows that deduplication has entered the mainstream and is effectively addressing the backup and data storage issues caused by exponential data growth. Large enterprises are leading the way – with mid-size companies and small businesses not far behind – in deploying and reporting significant benefits of the technology, including faster backups, quicker recovery, more efficient data management and lower operating costs.
Through its online poll, IDG Research collected information from 215 qualified IT leaders at large, medium and small companies across various industries regarding their use of backup and deduplication technologies. Key survey findings include:
- Fifty-nine percent of all respondents either have a deduplication solution in place (43 percent) or plan to implement one (16 percent).
- An aggregated 52 percent of large enterprises, 32 percent of mid-size companies and 28 percent of SMBs currently have a deduplication solution in place.
- An aggregated 60 to 70 percent of respondents already have achieved or expect to realize faster backups, quicker recovery and improved efficiency with deduplication.
- Forty percent of all respondents, regardless of company size, retain backup data for more than three years.
"The escalating growth of digital information over the last decade, which has severely stressed traditional methods of data protection and storage, will continue unabated for the foreseeable future. Migrating to new technologies such as deduplication for optimizing backup and storage has become an essential priority for data center managers everywhere," said Janet King, general manager and vice president of IDG Research Services. "This survey shows that deduplication has been deployed and tested by a wide range of midsize to large enterprises, demonstrating its benefits to the rest of the market and accelerating adoption of the technology."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV