Gold for April delivery at the COMEX division of the CME was down $2.50 to $1,573.40 an ounce. The
ADP reported private-sector employment rose by 158,000 in March, which was less than the 200,000 that economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting.
Wednesday is marking the second-consecutive losing session for the yellow metal. On Tuesday, gold plummeted as more investors continued to seek higher returns from surging equity markets.The Federal Reserve's dual mandate to combat a rise in inflation and steer the economy toward strong job growth has led gold investors to keep an eye on important labor data. Strong labor statistics -- monthly nonfarm payrolls, the monthly ADP report and initial jobless claims, among others -- offer a sense of overall economic health in the United States. And as the Fed has marked a 6.5% unemployment rate as a threshold to possibly begin raising the short-term federal funds rate, precious metals traders have used jobs data to gauge the need to exit or increase holdings in gold. Silver prices for May delivery were losing 3 cents to $27.22 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was shrinking 0.1% to $82.80. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV