If you haven't, read this piece from Fortune's Philip Elmer-DeWitt: The rise and fall of Andy Zaky. It's painful to read, but it warrants another look. Serious stuff.
In one breath, Varitimos says . . .
The little guy, the retail trader, is always the last to hop aboard a rising stock, grabbing only the last 10-15% of gains before topping out, and the last to get out as things crumble, and so they bear the brunt of the decline . . .
In the next he tells you how the little guy can get an "edge" like the big money does, but provides his "Apple alert with the caveat that [he takes] no responsibility whatsoever with how you choose to use the information." Well, of course not. I would hope that's how you take most of what you read.
But, man, it's quite the offer: Here's the answer to the burning questions regarding investing and the biggest battleground stock on the market, but, you probably shouldn't do anything with this knowledge. In fact, Leave it all on the table, not just that last 10-15% of gains referenced before the "caveat."It's exactly this type of emotionally-laden rhetoric positioned as analysis that took so many down -- costing real people millions upon millions of dollars -- as AAPL topped $700 and many of the same permabulls were calling "tops" several hundred bucks down the road. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV