Growing U.S. production, shift to Asian markets and increased competition for investment pose challenges for Canadian industry
TORONTO, April 3, 2013 /CNW/ - While the approval of the Keystone pipeline is important, it alone is not going the fix the challenges facing Canada's oil and gas sector, finds a new report from CIBC World Markets.
"Keystone will improve access stateside and put a cap on adverse price differentials for Western Canadian producers," says Avery Shenfeld, chief economist at CIBC. "But recent developments in the global oil industry—from Venezuela to Iraq, from North Dakota to Mexico, from California to China—suggest that Keystone is just one of several important pieces of the puzzle for Canada's energy sector.
"Three key trends—rising shale oil prospects stateside, the shift in consumption growth to Asia, and a growing list of oil producing countries open to foreign participation—all pose challenges if Canada is to maximize the value of its resource base."The report notes that shale oil has gone from a negligible share of U.S. production five years ago, to almost a third today. At $40-60 a barrel, the full-cycle costs of U.S. shale oil are well below that of a conventional oil sands mining operation, but above most Middle East production. This oil is also now competing for the same channels used to transport Canadian crude to market. "Growth in U.S. shale output, coupled with a much softer trajectory for medium term demand growth stateside, put America's net import requirements on a collision course with Canadian plans to ramp up its output by a further two million barrels a day over the balance of this decade," adds Mr. Shenfeld.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV