OAKVILLE, ON, April 3, 2013 /CNW/ - Tim Hortons has released its third annual Sustainability and Responsibility Report, highlighting the company's 2012 performance results and outlining goals and commitments for 2013.
The report focuses on the three key sustainability pillars, as the company stands by its commitment to Making a True Difference TM for: individuals, communities and the planet.
"Sustainability and responsibility continues to play an important role within our company," said Scott Bonikowsky, Vice President, Corporate, Public and Government Affairs, Tim Hortons. "We remain focused on reaching 2013 goals which encourages individuals to achieve their best, communities to thrive and grow and embraces our responsibility to do our part for the environment."
Highlights of the 2012 Sustainability and Responsibility Report include:
- We were included on the Canada Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index and named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) - North America for the second consecutive year
- Significant progress on our sodium reduction initiative. For example, to date we have reduced sodium in our soups (31%), deli meats (49%) and muffins (22%)
- We welcomed 15,450 children to the Tim Horton Children's Foundation (THCF) year-round camps and work towards our goal of 17,000 children by 2015
- We distributed 257 bursaries worth approximately $700,000 for post-secondary education to graduates of THCF's Youth Leadership Program with a goal of providing 1,000 bursaries by 2015
- In 2012, together with our Restaurant Owners and guests, $11 million was raised on Camp Day to help send economically-disadvantaged kids to camp
- Our Smile Cookie program raised $4.5 million for local charities across Canada and the U.S.
- 2,300 Aboriginal youth attended a THCF camp, with a goal of 5,000 by the end of 2014
- We opened two new kiosks on Aboriginal lands: one Aboriginal-owned full-serve kiosk in Grand Rapids, MB, and one self-serve kiosk in Oxford House, MB. We are striving for 10 more Aboriginal-owned restaurants or kiosks on Aboriginal lands by the end of 2014
- Since 2005, more than 3,400 farmers have participated in Tim Hortons Coffee Partnership projects. We have influenced the lives of more than 17,000 people in our project communities. Our goal is to work with 2,800 farmers in 2013
- In 2012, our manufacturing and distribution waste diversion rate was 70 per cent. We will aim for a 10 per cent increase in waste diversion by the end of 2014
- We achieved LEED® Certification on our pilot restaurant in Hamilton, ON and registered another four locations in 2012. We aim to register a minimum of 30 new restaurants by the end of 2016
- We affirm our call for the pork industry to eliminate gestation stall practices for sows, and by 2022, will source pork from suppliers who have made a transition to alternative open housing
- We are on track to sourcing 10 per cent of our egg products from more humane, alternative hen housing systems by the end of 2013. This represents significantly more than 10 million eggs
- We founded the Tim Hortons Sustainable Food Management Fund at the University of Guelph. Our North America-wide restaurant industry summit focusing on academic research about animal welfare issues and best practices is being planned for the fall of 2013
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV