The 3-Wet technology process means Ford can maintain the top quality characteristics its customers demand, including long-term durability and chip and scratch resistance.
How it worksEnabling the 3-Wet high-solids solvent-borne paint formulation technology is a combination of process and product developed by Ford and its suppliers. Together, they have created a superior system that saves 20-25 percent of process time. Due to the eliminated stand-alone primer application and dedicated oven – both reducing the paint booth size – Ford saves electricity from the blowers that circulate massive volumes of air through paint booths, and reduces its use of natural gas needed to heat the air and ovens. This results in significant reductions of CO 2 emissions, as well as reductions in VOC compared to current medium-solids and solvent-borne paints.
Since the pilot launch at Ohio Assembly Plant five years ago, Ford's global 3-Wet paint process has reduced CO 2 emissions by 15-25 percent and VOC emissions by 10 percent compared to either conventional high-solids solvent-borne or waterborne systems.
Locations where Ford is installing the 3-Wet process in 2013:
- Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Flat Rock, Mich.
- Kansas City Assembly Plant, Claycomo, Mo.
- Jiangling Motors Co. Ltd., Jiangxi/ Nanchang, China
- Valencia Assembly Plant, Valencia, Spain
- Ohio Assembly Plant, Avon Lake, Ohio
- Cuautitlan Assembly Plant, Cuautitlan, Mexico
- Michigan Assembly Plant, Wayne, Mich.
- Louisville Assembly Plant, Louisville, Ky.
- Chennai Assembly, Tamil Nadu, India
- CAF 2, Chongqing, China
- Ford Thailand Manufacturing, Rayong, Thailand
- Craiova Assembly Plant, Craiova, Romania
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV