DEARBORN, Mich., April 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- Ford is adding four more plants to its network of manufacturing operations that use its industry-leading 3-Wet paint process; the process will be added to two facilities in the United States, as well as one in China and one in Spain
- Ford, which was the first automaker to implement the high-solids solvent-borne 3-Wet technology in 2007, currently has eight plants in North America, Asia Pacific and Europe that use the process
- The 3-Wet process has helped Ford reduce CO 2 emissions by 15-25 percent and volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions by 10 percent at those facilities where the process is used; similar reductions are expected at new 3-Wet facilities
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is expanding its industry-leading 3-Wet paint capacity by 50 percent this year, adding the environmentally friendly process to four more plants on three continents. The actions will reduce CO 2 emissions by an estimated 15-25 percent at those facilities.
Ford was the first automaker to implement the 3-Wet high-solids solvent-borne technology in 2007; it now has eight plants in North America, Asia Pacific and Europe equipped to use the process to paint vehicles. High-solids solvent-borne technology refers to a paint formulated to minimize solvents, resulting in a concentrated pigment and resin mixture with fewer volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released. The technology will be in place in 12 plants in 2013 then expand to additional facilities worldwide over the next four years.
"The 3-Wet paint process is significantly more advanced than conventional technologies in applying durable paints in a high-quality, environmentally sound and cost-efficient manner," said Bruce Hettle, director of manufacturing engineering.The 3-Wet process derives its name from three layers of paint applied one after the other prior to earlier coats having cured. The process eliminates stand-alone primer application and a dedicated oven required in the conventional process that was used before. Advanced chemical composition of 3-Wet paint materials allows for the three layers of paint – primer, base coat and clear coat – to be applied while each layer is still wet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV