A heating of Vodafone's M&A prospects comes at a time when many Greenlight Capital investments take the spotlight.
Greenlight has maintained a short trade in rating agency Moody's (MCO), which cost the fund its largest short portfolio loss in 2012. That investment and a newly opened short against McGraw-Hill (MHP), owner of Standard & Poor's may yet payoff as the Department of Justice pursues fraud charges related to mortgage bond ratings.
Escalating scrutiny on the credibility of pre-crisis mortgage bond ratings could also throw Einhorn in direct contest with Warren Buffett of Berkshire Hathaway, who remains one of Moody's largest shareholders.
Einhorn may also have to address previously disclosed short positions such as a backfired trade against materials giant Martin Marietta (MLM), which has risen sharply since Einhorn said the company's earnings would suffer from a withdrawal of government stimulus.For now, Einhorn may not have picked the biggest merger in history as a first notable arbitrage trade. Still, the increasingly vocal hedge funder's investment in Vodafone may eventually bear fruit for Greenlight in the event of a Verizon Wireless deal. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York. Follow @antoinegara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV