Is it OK for Mom and Dad to Pay for Your Cell Phone?
By Susan Johnston
NEW YORK ( MainStreet) --The recession forced countless millennials into boomeranging back home with their parents to save money. But even some of those adult children who are gainfully employed, financially independent and perhaps even engaged or married still piggyback on the family cell phone plan. In fact, 29% of parents of 18- to 35-year-old children continue to pay their cell phone bill after their kids move out of the house, according to a Harris Interactive survey of 620 parents for the Wall Street Journal.
Kristin Serio, a 24-year-old account executive in Orlando, Fla., is part of this trend. Her grandparents paid her college phone bill through college graduation, when her parents added her to their plan, which includes unlimited data, talk and web. Serio says she'll eventually start her own family plan once she gets married or her three-year-old son is old enough for a cell phone.
"But until that happens it's very nice to not have to worry about
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV