Kovarus Survey: Critical IT Decisions Are Being Made Without Accurate Business Insight
SAN RAMON, Calif., April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Kovarus, Inc., a leading systems integrator specializing in increasing IT efficiency by architecting and integrating business-aligned IT solutions, today announced findings from a recent survey of IT decision-makers regarding the visibility and effective utilization of IT assets.
The survey revealed that the key measurements and metrics critical to supporting a healthy IT ecosystem are not reliably captured and reviewed. Only 38% of IT professionals surveyed specifically make their investment decisions based on true alignment and value to the business. Many critical decisions are being made without the correct business insight putting the IT department at a disadvantage with business units who have an ear to external service providers."Our research shows a clear need for a back-to-basics approach to transforming IT," said Andy Lewis, CIO of Kovarus. "It is critical to first understand where you are now and how you can adapt what you have before you can effectively adopt and integrate new technology innovations. By starting with these basics, you can better align your IT decision-making to increase efficiency, reduce risk and prepare for the transformation needed for future waves of change." Key survey findings include:
- 40% of survey respondents were not aware of their IT assets. This in effect means that a sizeable part of the operating budget managed by IT is not accounted for correctly. These expenses become a fuzzy 'allocated cost' to business units without the ability for IT to demonstrate accounting transparency and therefore inflating unit costs for some business units. As IT starts to act like and compete with service providers, it is imperative that costs and assets are understood and managed differently. Using asset management to discover and manage the commissioning/decommissioning practices is critical to remediate this situation. Without this, the future of configuration, capacity, investment and chargeback management practices will be in vain.
- 65% of the respondents reflected that they did not have the time, practices or tools to collect information on the utilization of their IT investments. That is, they did not have the capability of determining performance and capacity used on daily basis. This results in a reactionary approach when resources are exhausted and applications fail causing business outages. The premise for effective virtualization relies on multi-tenant economies of scale – but without effective capacity management, collective capacity needs cannot be determined. It is possible that the environment is often over configured by a factor of 15. Capacity planning is a fundamental basis to achieve these results and to prepare for a more fluid and dynamic environment. With performance management techniques, users receive the results they expect and IT can manage to business policy (such as SLAs).
- 44% of respondents surveyed currently have a mish mash of technology solutions in their data centers: most of the rest have defined some standards along with consistent purchasing practices. Those with the diverse technology selections will have considerable additional risk and costs associated with this complexity. They will also find it difficult to achieve the economies of scale associated with virtualization as they typically have many 'competing' platforms and struggle to achieve the level of integration afforded by standard offerings. Defining IT standards that represent unique business needs is a starting point, and sustaining the good practices and investment is the next: without strong governance practices, efforts will be wasted.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV