PG&E offers these tips for a safe excavation:
- If you believe a utility has not marked its lines, call 811 again to notify USA.
- To help utilities, excavators should mark the boundary of the proposed excavation area in white. On paved surfaces, use white chalk-based paint. On unpaved surfaces, use flags or stakes. Homeowners can use other white substances, such as sugar or flour to mark the proposed excavation area.
- Carefully use hand tools to excavate within 24 inches on either side of a utility marking.
- Be careful not to erase utility marks while working. If you cannot see the markings, call 811 and request a remarking.
- 811 requests are active for 28 days. Notify USA if work continues beyond that time.
- Immediately notify utilities about any type of contact or damage to their wires or pipes.
- If there is any type of damage to PG&E electric wires or gas pipelines, or if there is a possible gas leak, take these steps promptly:
- Move to a safe location upwind where you can no longer smell natural gas
- Call 911
- Call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000
For more information about USA, visit www.call811.com. For tips on safe digging during the month of April, visit PG&E's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pacificgasandelectric or PG&E's Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/pge4me.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation's cleanest energy to 15 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit http://www.pge.com/about/newsroom/ and www.pgecurrents.com.
SOURCE Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV