Generation Debt: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
"Generation Xers are woefully under-saved for retirement, but to turn things around and get them on track for a secure retirement, education will be critical," she says. The irony is that education got Gen X-ers into debt in the first place.
That aside, a re-education on personal finance may help mitigate the sense that retirement is a fait accompli. But, a reappraisal of what we consider "good" versus "bad" debt may also be required.
"From a planning perspective, the assumption is that education is always going to advance the individual and improve their situation," says Balsley. "As a student, you don't think about the consequences of debt, but those consequences appear very quickly after graduation."
Have student loans left the "good debt" category forever? Sure, they have a lower interest rate than, say, a credit card. But, most people will be indebted for a much longer time than they would with a credit card. And, sure, if your debt is held by the government, you can have the remaining balance forgiven if you've been a public school teacher or worked for a qualifying non-profit for a period of time. But most people fall outside of that narrow path.Perhaps a third category is in order for student debt. Neither good, nor bad, student debt is like that formerly awesome tattoo you got, well, in college.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV