Official Statement: Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense In America's Reaction To NRA Announcement On School Shields
WASHINGTON, April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- National Rifle Association (NRA) CEO Wayne LaPierre and the gun industry lobbyists and special interests continue to degrade the memory of gun violence victims and the dignity of American citizens by suggesting that the solution to the country's gun violence epidemic is to sell even more guns and more ammunition through their so-called National School Shield Program.
While it is not surprising that an organization driven by profit would stop at nothing to boost the sales of the products it promotes, the NRA leadership's suggestion that an armed guard be stationed in "every single school" across America is an insult to Americans who want to live in a free society. American mothers will not allow their children's schools to be turned into fortresses or prisons.
Sadly, Mr. LaPierre and other gun industry lobbyists continue to work to obstruct efforts to find common-sense, middle-ground solutions to curb gun violence in America. We expect our representatives to ignore the self-serving propaganda of these special interests, and, when Congress returns from recess on Monday, vote for something that will actually make a difference: new and stronger gun laws. The mothers of America are watching, and, when it is our turn to vote, we will remember which members of Congress stood down when our children most needed them to stand up.
We continue to be heartened by the new laws being proposed and passed in states like Colorado, New York, Connecticut, and Maryland, where state legislatures are coming together to act on common-sense gun regulations to decrease gun violence in America. We hope Congress will take a cue from these Governors and state legislators who are doing what legislators are elected to do: Vote in their constituents' best interests.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV