4. Farmland, timber, water and other tangible assets should do well: So far so good here. In the agriculture and land space, Alico (ALCO) is up about 25% year to date, Cresud (CRESY) has risen 15%, and PICO Holdings has gained 7%. Limoneira (LMNR) has done little year to date and is flat. Timber-related names have done even better, with Plum Creek Timber (PCL), Rayonier (RYN) and Weyerhaeuser (WY) up an average of 15.2% year to date.
All in all, there were some good calls and some bad -- at least so far. I'll revisit these again at the end of the second quarter.
At the time of publication, Heller held long positions in ALCO, LMNR and PICO.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts