Updated with a review of Delta PRASM guidance, analyst comment and mid-morning share price.
In mid-morning trading, airline shares were falling, led by Delta's decline of about 7%, as shares were down $1.07 to $15.18. Shares in US Airways (LCC) were down 4%, while United (UAL) shares were down about 3%. In the airline sector, only shares in Spirit (SAVE) were rising, up about 1%.
Analysts had been expecting a March passenger revenue per available seat mile gain for Delta of 4% to 5.5%; Delta's guidance was at the low end of that range. At last month's JP Morgan transportation conference, Delta President Ed Bastian forecast a first -uarter PRASM gain of 4.5% to 5.5%, which implied a March gain of 4%. Delta has since reduced its quarterly guidance to between 4% and 4.5%.On Tuesday before the market opened, Delta said its March PRASM gain was diminished by the impact of a weakening yen as well as "lower close-in bookings driven by the sequester, lower than expected demand as a result of our attempt to drive higher yields, and temporary inefficiencies during implementation of new revenue management technology." The negative trends offset PRASM gains in the trans-Atlantic and Latin markets, Delta said. Delta is the first major carrier to report March traffic. Before Tuesday's decline, its shares had risen 34% year to date. In a note, Cowan Securities analyst Helane Becker recommended: "Buy the dip as fundamentals remain strong." She has a target price of $19. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV