NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Many investors find buying stocks while the market is near all-time highs daunting to say the least. Obvious bargains are harder to come by. However, we can use the momentum to our advantage. I don't suggest finding stocks that will continue higher is a task to be taken lightly, but with the right approach, and well thought out risk control, outsized profit potential is available for those able to see through the fog and move forward.
Most would also agree that finding the time to scan and filter thousands of stocks to discover investments worth your attention is far from easy. There's a fine line between hero and zero; a line we all desperately want to stay on the correct side of.
I try to make your search easier by researching companies that I want to own in my longer term accounts. Historically, dividend paying stocks outperform nondividend payers, so that's where my focus is.
Companies cited in my last article highlighting rising dividend stars performed well. Of course, a rising tide lifts all boats, and so I am careful about how comfortable I should be. Here are the highlights on the returns, not including dividend payments:Using the closing price on the day of the article and the closing price Monday, we can review the results:
- AT&T (T) up 5.26%
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) up 14.75%
- U.S. Bancorp (USB) up 3.25%
- Seagate (STX) up 16.65%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV