The phone giant's shares, which closed down 0.21% at $28.34 during Monday's trading, rose 4.76% to $29.69 before market open.
Vodafone was also the most active premarket Nasdaq stock on share volume 387,389.
Nuance Communications (NUAN) was another big gainer, lifted by Carl Icahn's decision to take a 9.27% stake in the company. The voice recognition company revealed Icahn's stake in a regulatory filing on Monday.Shares of Nuance continued their recent momentum, climbing 8.13% to reach $21.82 on share volume of 230,204. BlackBerry (BBRY) was another winner, rising 1.73% to reach $15.37. Apple (AAPL) shares crept up 0.18% to $429.70. HP (HPQ), which was downgraded to "sell" from "neutral" by Goldman Sachs, fell 3.82% to $22.42.
In a note released early on Tuesday, Goldman analyst Bill Shope warned that HP's earnings expectations could face downward revisions in the coming quarters, adding that that "any recovery in earnings power will be muted through FY2014." --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV