BENTONVILLE, Ark., April 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- This month, Walmart and 10 of the most recognizable food companies in America embark on the third chapter of the Fighting Hunger Together initiative focused on reducing hunger across the nation. Walmart and leading grocery suppliers, including Campbell's Soup, ConAgra Foods, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, General Mills, Kraft Foods Group, Kellogg Company, Mondelez International, Nestle USA, PepsiCo and Unilever, have joined forces to engage millions of customers and Walmart associates this spring and bring much needed food and funding to nonprofit organizations that work to fight hunger.
According to the latest data from the USDA, more than 50 million Americans live in food insecure households, and more than 16 million of those impacted are children. To address this issue, the Fighting Hunger Together initiative will partner with Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger relief charity, to deliver $3 million in grants for hunger programs and generate more than 35 million meals* for local Feeding America food banks and their partner agencies across the U.S.
"An astonishing 1 in 5 children in America are food insecure, not knowing, at some point during the year, where their next meal will come from, and as the nation's largest grocer, we have a responsibility to help change this reality," said Julie Gehrki, senior director of the Walmart Foundation. "With this initiative, we are working to help families across the U.S. by generating meals and awarding grants to local food banks and agencies to support hunger relief programs, including backpack programs providing vitals meals to children when they are out of school, and community gardens teaching families how to grow their own healthy foods."
The public will have the opportunity to join the fight against hunger and help distribute grants to local communities across the country. Ways to participate include:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV