That's a 17% year-over-year increase in Canadians moving from feature phones to smartphones. These are the people who will use data to visit social networks and watch online video as well as purchase another "connected device" such as a tablet or e-reader. comScore estimates that 43% of smartphone subscribers own a connected device compared to 32% of feature phone owners.
Of course, Rogers and Bell will continue to reap the rewards of all of these conversions and this consumption. They not only sell phones, the data and collect attendant fees, but they own so much of the content people stream on mobile devices. They sell the ads. And so on and so forth.
If BlackBerry has a realistic chance at doing anything it's taking back the Canadian marketshare it has been losing to Apple (AAPL) and Google (GOOG). BlackBerry can win back Canada and solidify itself as the number three mobile platform in the U.S. behind iOS and Android.Opportunity exists, particularly in Canada. BlackBerry must reclaim that turf. If it does the comScore numbers and the trend tell us it will reap rewards. Also, from an organizational standpoint, it will help it regain the confidence it lost in the pre-Z10/QNX days as it imploded under what became an inept management team. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV