By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Pipelines have been the dominant group in the last few sessions, and Monday the bulls came back to Oneok (OKE).
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of about 15,000 October 52.50 calls for $1. The transaction dominated activity in a name that sees volume of fewer than 1,200 contracts in an average session.
Calls lock in the price where investors can buy shares, so they can generate significant leverage in a rally. The trades have already been working for some investors because there was also call buying in the October 50s a month ago. Those calls more than doubled by Monday's session, despite the stock climbing barely 5% in the same period.Call buyers have increasingly targeted pipelines in the last week as awareness grows of the United States regaining its status as a major player in the energy industry. Kinder Morgan and Energy Transfer have also seen bullish option paper. Oneok closed Monday's session up 1.66% to $48.46. Total option volume was 22 times greater than average in the name, with calls outnumbering puts by 83 to 1. Russell has no positions in OKE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV