- Space is #1 Specialty Network Saturday as Season 7B premiere of DOCTOR WHO draws 654,000 viewers - - Space.ca hits record high on Saturday with the most visits ever in the site's history -
To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/1295Jn3
TORONTO, April 1, 2013 /CNW/ - The series premiere of what the Hollywood Reporter calls "one of the most intriguingly entertaining new series of the year" lived up to its hype Saturday night. Space's new Original Series ORPHAN BLACK debuted to a record-breaking 404,000 viewers, making it the highest-rated Original Series premiere in the channel's 15-year history. Overall, Space was the #1 specialty network of the day Saturday, with the return of DOCTOR WHO at 8 p.m. averaging a rousing 654,000 viewers, powering ORPHAN BLACK's mind-blowing audience at 9 p.m.
In all, almost 900,000 viewers watched some or all of ORPHAN BLACK's first episode, which launched a complex urban mystery after lead character Sarah comes face-to-face with a stranger who looks just like her. The premiere episode, "Natural Selection," was also the most-watched specialty program during its timeslot.Earlier on DOCTOR WHO, the official debut of Clara Oswald ( Jenna-Louise Coleman) as the Doctor's mysterious "twice dead" new companion was watched by nearly one million Canadians, as fans turned out in droves for the 7B premiere of Space's #1 series. "The Bells of Saint John" episode was the most-watched specialty program of the day overall and in the key A25-54 and A18-49 demos. In anticipation of both premieres, Space.ca received a record number of visitors on Saturday, racking up the highest single day visits in the site's history.* Both thrilling episodes of DOCTOR WHO and ORPHAN BLACK are currently available online at Space.ca. **Media Note** - Photography for DOCTOR WHO and ORPHAN BLACK is available online at BellMediaPR.ca/Space Generating buzz from critics and fans alike, here's what people had to say about ORPHAN BLACK's premiere episode:
- "It's addictive and compelling -- you want the next episode mere seconds after the previous one has ended, which is always a fantastic sign. But even beyond that, there's little doubt that ORPHAN BLACK is more than just a thrill ride or some guilty pleasure. It is, flat out, one of the most intriguingly entertaining new series of the year, and it's so much more than pure entertainment. For a sci-fi series, there's some real heft to it." - Tim Goodman, The Hollywood Reporter
- "... ORPHAN BLACK is anchored by a magnetic lead performance: Regina-born Tatiana Maslany plays Sarah, a street hustler and orphan who gets pulled down a rabbit hole filled with look-alikes, double identities and dangerous conspiracies. Strong writing and a stellar supporting cast add to Orphan Black's appeal. This is one orphan to adopt into your TV schedule." - Chris Lackner, Postmedia
- "It's so much more than simple sci-fi. It's mystery, it's action, it's drama and it's as sexy as hell." - Chris Jancelewicz, Huffington Post
- " …as each new breadcrumb is revealed, the show proves to be increasingly addictive. Accordingly, make a date with ORPHAN BLACK for its premiere on Saturday, March 30 th." - Tiffany Vogt, The TV Addict
- ohthathayley - The Orphan Black pilot episode was all sorts of good, looking forward to seeing where this series goes. #orphanblack #space
- okame333 - Just watched Doctor Who & Orphan Black on Space. Good new season opener, followed by GREAT new show! I am definitely a fan of both now!
- ShawnMoscato25 - Orphan Black's First episode rocked! @SpaceChannel
- mattywatts - Between ORPHAN BLACK and DOCTOR WHO, Tatiana Maslany and Jenna-Louise Coleman are going to own Saturday night in North America.
- LindseyMcaruso - One thing to say: ORPHAN BLACK Favorite show in the world! Loved it!!! #OrphanBlack
- SarahShelson - So I enjoyed the premiere of Orphan Black. That ending was killer! :D