Detroit Women Raise Funds For Needy At Designer Shoe Auction
SOUTHFIELD, Mich., April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Some of Southeastern Michigan's most influential women leaders attended a fundraiser Thursday in honor of Women's History Month to help two local charities, bidding not on "hunks" or "vacations" but on shoes.
Co-sponsored by Southfield Mayor Brenda Lawrence and Michigan Accident Attorney Joumana Kayrouz, the charity dinner featured shoes donated by local retailers including Lord & Taylor, Macy's, DSW Shoe Warehouse, Sachs and designer shoes donated by local leaders.
Kayrouz hosted the event at her Bloomfield Hills home and increased the total charitable collection by matching the donations dollar-for-dollar. The money will be given to two charities, Mayor Lawrence said, Haven and the Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Detroit.
"The idea came up during a conversation I had with Joumana to raise money by auctioning off designer shoes as a way to increase the involvement of women during Women's History Month and to also raise money for needy causes," Mayor Lawrence said."It was kind of like Pumps for Empowerment or Pumps for People and we were privileged to get support from many local businesses that donated shoes that were the focus of the auction. As women we are saying we are powerful women in different positions and we wear pumps. I am a firm believer and Joumana agrees that we need to help others as successful women." Kayrouz said she was honored to host the auction commemorating Women's History Month which is traditionally held every March. "We invited women leaders from across Michigan including several judges, auto dealership owners, business owners and activists," Kayrouz said. "We had 30 of the region's most influential women joining forces to show they care about those in need. It was a very upbeat program, fun and held for a good cause."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV