Fidelity Investments Announces Changes To Its Capital Yield Funds
TORONTO, April 1, 2013 /CNW/ - The 2013 federal budget, tabled March 21, 2013, included proposed changes to what are described as "character conversion transactions" that have been used in certain mutual funds to effectively convert income to capital gains for tax purposes. These changes, as proposed by the government, are expected to remove the tax advantages of mutual funds that employ these transactions (commonly referred to as "capital yield funds"). Specifically, the budget noted that the returns produced under these structures will be treated as income, as early as 180 days following March 21, 2013.
While definitive legislation has not yet been released, Fidelity is taking proactive steps to protect existing investors in these funds. It has become clear that increasing the size of existing character conversion transactions is not permitted. Accordingly, as of end of business Tuesday, April 2, 2013, Fidelity will be closing its capital yield funds to additional investments.
It is important to note that the fundamental benefits of mutual fund corporations (commonly referred to as "class funds") remain, including tax-deferred switching and the ability to potentially reduce taxable distributions.
Investors are encouraged to speak with their financial advisor and/or tax advisor about their options regarding capital yield funds.The funds that will be closing to additional investments are:
- Fidelity Premium Fixed Income Capital Yield Private Pool Class
- Fidelity Premium Tactical Fixed Income Capital Yield Private Pool
- Fidelity Corporate Bond Capital Yield Class
- Fidelity U.S. Monthly Income Capital Yield Fund
- Fidelity American High Yield Capital Yield Fund
- Fidelity Tactical Fixed Income Capital Yield Fund
- Fidelity Canadian Bond Capital Yield Fund
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV