PLEASANTON, Calif., April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing a long-held tradition of support and advocacy for people with disabilities, Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) and The Safeway Foundation today launched their annual April fundraising campaign to benefit Easter Seals, Special Olympics and a range of organizations that help people with disabilities live fuller, more independent lives.
The company's Support for People with Disabilities campaign, along with other fundraising activities, have contributed more than $140 million to Easter Seals, Special Olympics and an array of organizations that assist people with special needs.
"We have designated April as our time to make a difference in the lives of countless people served by these well-respected organizations," said Larree Renda, Safeway Executive Vice President and Chair of The Safeway Foundation. "Because one in five people live with a physical or intellectual disability, few causes resonate as deeply with our employees, customers and in our neighborhoods as the need to help people with disabilities reach their full potential."
Each of the company's Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Dominick's, Tom Thumb, Randalls and Carrs stores will collect donations at checkstands throughout the month. In addition to in-store fundraising activities, the company and The Safeway Foundation will again partner with Rebuilding Together, the nation's leading non-profit organization working to preserve affordable homeownership, to plan and execute home or community center rehabilitation projects that serve people with disabilities.The following is a snapshot of how the annual campaign has impacted people and communities across the country. Funds donated by Safeway's customers have:
- Financed training for Easter Seals staff across the country to help expand visibility of early intervention programs, which are critical for special-needs children, especially those with autism or other disabilities.
- Supported 23 Special Olympics programs in 22 states.
- Helped Easter Seals provide more than 37,000 hours of after-school care and other services for children with developmental disabilities in the San Francisco Bay Area through Easter Seals' Kaleidoscope program.
- Helped provide free training and competition opportunities to more than 13,000 Special Olympics athletes in Arizona.
- Helped Special Olympics Colorado expand to provide sports training to an additional 806 athletes.
- Financed the renovation of 20 homes and 12 non-profit centers nationwide through Rebuilding Together, benefiting nearly 5,500 individuals across the country. More than 1,800 Safeway employees donated more than 15,000 hours volunteering on Rebuilding Together projects.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts