TEANECK, N.J., April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- After completing a comprehensive review of Holy Name Medical Center and the services and facilities associated with its surgical weight loss program, the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) has approved Holy Name as an American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence® (BSCOE).
BSCOE accreditation ensures the quality, safety and efficacy of bariatric patient care. Facilities with BSCOE approval support best practices for the treatment of morbid obesity and its associated conditions, by offering a broad spectrum of treatment, education and support services.
The American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery's inspection is comprehensive and rigorous. It encompasses meetings with management from a variety of disciplines within the hospital, a review of required documentation and medical charts, an operating room tour, and interviews with staff.
Facilities that achieve accreditation must demonstrate compliance across a broad spectrum:
- Institutional commitment to maintaining excellence in bariatric surgery, including such aspects as administrative support and board-certified bariatric surgeons
- Satisfactory levels of surgical experience and patient volume
- A dedicated bariatric surgery medical director and an organized bariatric team, including a bariatric program coordinator
- Appropriate equipment, instruments and furniture suitable for the morbidly obese patient, allowing for appropriate treatment, personal comfort and a sense of dignity
- Bariatric policies and clinical pathways to provide standards of care and positive outcomes
- Facility-wide in-services to ensure a basic understanding of bariatric surgery and appropriate management and care
- Patient support groups
- Long-term patient follow-up