There are as many possible phone specialties as there are people using phones. Phones could emphasize the quality of their cameras, their efficiency for business, their ruggedness for military and logistics use, or some specific app, as Facebook might do by creating a "home screen" for its Android users.
With a market of 1.75 billion units per year, a host of niches could be created. If BlackBerry can make a profit while selling just .25% of the market, so can many other companies.
(AAPL), which both makes its own phones and produces its own phone operating system, this could prove the death of 1,000 cuts, each specialty phone taking a tiny slice of its market, all of them taking away its whole market unless it responds.
So a gamer's phone? A teen's phone? A lawyer's phone? Or how about a phone that focuses on giving you the latest financial news and views, with one-click access to your trading desk, a trading screen you hold in your hand that can also give you voice alerts when your screen is full.As with Facebook, what starts with an app can take over the screen, can become the phone, and can target a small slice of the total market profitably. I wonder if the editors are up for a TheStreet.com phone. I would hate to see some Fool Phone beat us to the market. Stay tuned. At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG and AAPL. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV