The move comes amid a breakup plan pitched by the New York-based driller and opposition to the company's efforts from activist investors Elliott Management and Relational Investors, which argue the company still isn't going far enough in unlocking the value of its assets and restructuring its oft-criticized Board of Directors.
While some recent asset sales may have underwhelmed investors and Wall Street analysts, Hess's Monday deal was received strongly, as shares gained over 2% to a new one-year high of $73.87 in early afternoon trading.
Hess shares have gained nearly 40% year-to-date as the company works to sell terminal, refining and non-core energy assets and become more focused on drilling assets in promising U.S.-based shale basins.Hess will be selling 100% of its Russian subsidiary Samara-Nafta to OAO Lukoil, in a deal the company says will garner after-tax proceeds of $1.8 billion. Samara-Nafta is currently producing 50,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day in the Volga-Urals region of Russia, Hess said in a press release announcing the deal. "As the sale of Samara-Nafta indicates, we are making excellent progress in executing our asset sales program, which is a central component of our plan to transform Hess into a more focused, higher growth, lower risk pure play exploration and production company," John B. Hess, Hess Chairman and CEO, said in a Monday statement. In March, Hess said it sold a 4,300-acre Eagle Ford Shale oilfield to Sanchez Energy (SN) for $265 million, in a deal that fetched about a third of the value that more optimistic analyst had forecast when the New York-based driller put the assets up for sale in 2012. According to Hess, the company has raised $3.4 billion in announced or completed deals to sell interests in the Beryl field in the U.K. North Sea, the Eagle Ford play in Texas, and the Azeri, Chirag and Guneshli fields in Azerbaijan. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV