Box Ships (NYSE: TEU) shares currently have a dividend yield of 18.90%. Box Ships Inc., a shipping company, engages in the seaborne transportation of containers worldwide. As of December 31, 2012, it had a fleet of 9 containerships with a total capacity of approximately 43,925 twenty-foot equivalent units. The company has a P/E ratio of 8.61. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Box Ships a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Box Ships has been 314,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Box Ships has a market cap of $97.3 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 14.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Box Ships as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BOX SHIPS INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BOX SHIPS INC reported lower earnings of $0.67 versus $0.80 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Marine industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.57 million to $2.87 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Marine industry and the overall market, BOX SHIPS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 47.40%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 67.64% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The gross profit margin for BOX SHIPS INC is currently very high, coming in at 70.10%. Regardless of TEU's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TEU's net profit margin of 16.24% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full Box Ships Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts