YARDLEY, Pa., April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The sale of privately-held Velcera, Inc. ("Velcera") — a leading pet health company committed to providing consumers with best-in-class pet health products that contain the same active ingredients as branded veterinary products but at a significantly lower cost — to Allegan-Mich.-based Perrigo Company (Nasdaq: PRGO; TASE) closed today for approximately $160 million in cash.
Velcera and its FidoPharm subsidiary is best known for its flea and tick treatment PetArmor ®, which is the No. 1 generic of Frontline ® Top Spot containing the No. 1 vet-recommended active ingredient for flea and tick protection. PetArmor ® is backed by 20 clinical trials to prove its effectiveness and safety. PetArmor's ® money-back "Protection Guarantee" promises to protect your dog or cat as well as Frontline ® products or PetArmor ® will refund the purchase price.
Velcera, together with major retail partners, has been instrumental in developing an OTC market for pet health products traditionally dispensed primarily by veterinarians. Retail sales of the PetArmor ® franchise exceeded $100 million during calendar year 2012, the value-brand's first full year on the market, having launched in April 2011.
Under Perrigo, the PetArmor ® franchise brand will continue to enjoy the same broad distribution at retailers nationwide that pet consumers have come to expect since PetArmor ® launched two years ago."The extraordinary synergies between Velcera and Perrigo means that even more pet owners can receive best-in-class pet health products," said Dennis Steadman, Velcera's president and CEO. To learn more about PetArmor ®, visit www.PetArmor.comFacebook: Facebook.com/PetArmorTwitter: Twitter.com/PetArmorYouTube: Youtube.com/PetArmor Frontline ® is the registered trademark of Merial Frontline ® and Merial are not affiliated with PetArmor ® SOURCE PetArmor
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV