NYC's Coney Island Hopes For Rebound After Sandy
After tallying $400,000 in damage from Sandy, Zigun's nonprofit Coney Island USA is hard-pressed to pay for this summer's Mermaid Parade, an annual gathering of more than 1,500 people marching in wacky â¿¿ and often revealing â¿¿ costumes to celebrate the kooky seaside culture of Coney Island.
"We're moving forward, even though it's questionable," Zigun said, adding that weather will be the deciding factor. "We are savvy Coney Island carneys; once we reopen, we are damn good at making money."
Luna Park amusement park says its nearly 30 rides are all open, including the wooden Cyclone Rollercoaster. Last year, 759,000 people visited Luna Park, 120,000 more than in 2011, according to the city.
Despite this recovery, many in the neighborhood surrounding the boardwalk are still looking for rebirth.The Coney Island library is closed, and the post office is only partially open. More than two dozen unsalvageable buildings in or around Coney Island still need to be demolished, said Chuck Reichenthal, the district manager of the area's community board. With an unclear timeline for demolition, he said, air quality during the beach season could be an issue. Still, he said, the fact that so much of the amusement park has opened already is an encouraging sign that Coney Island businesses will rebound and cover their losses. "I am trying to be even more than cautiously optimistic and just be outwardly optimistic," he said. "The beach is ready; we don't find any more drifting materials from the Rockaways or other places. The ocean appears clean. Hey, let's have fun."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV