First-quarter earnings season kicks off in a couple of weeks. The comparisons will be tough. The consensus estimate is for a year-over-year decline of 0.7% for the S&P 500. Apple earnings, once an investor darling, are expected to shrink from $12.30 to $10.15, a whopping 8% decline (shares are down roughly 30% over the past year).
At the same time, according to Bloomberg estimates, the 100-plus analysts covering the company expect Apple's revenue to grow by over 70% over the next three years, all while the stock is trading with a forward P/E below 10X.
Clearly, fundamentals aren't the key driver of this company's stock price.Some, me included, argue that the selloff in Apple shares is overdone. But the real question for investors is what will turn things around for the stock? In recent interviews and press conferences, Apple CEO Tim Cook has attempted to reassure investors the company will make good use of its large cash stock pile -- over $130 billion by the end of 2012. Is a share buyback program in the works? Will Apple's dividend be raised? How about a stock split? In my opinion, yes, yes and yes. Apple is a cash cow. It generates over $25 billion in free cash flow every quarter. The company is a sales machine, selling more iPhones than cars sold by all of the major car manufacturers globally. Most importantly, the company continues to innovate. But to no avail for the stock price in the past 12 months. What Apple stock needs is a traditional boost from higher dividends and the psychological impact of a stock split. Imagine Apple shares trading at $45 (after a 10-for-1 stock split), and paying a $1.33 dividend per share (a 25% hike from current levels). Oh, and what if the company spent 15% of its cash (about $26 billion) to buy back its shares?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV