New Digital Learning Report Spurs Recommendations For Modernizing Public Education
WASHINGTON, April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following the release of the 2012 Digital Learning Report Card, Digital Learning Now! (DLN) urges state policymakers to advance student-centric reforms, reduce barriers to blended learning, and encourage the use of technology to offer a more personalized college- and career-ready education – and ultimately modernize K-12 public education in America.
The 2012 Digital Learning Report Card measures each state against the 10 Elements of High Quality Digital Learning. These reports help gauge how innovation-friendly state policies are in terms of student eligibility, funding flexibility and creating a strong policy environment for education innovators.
In 2012, there was more debate and activity at the state level than in previous years. More than 700 bills involving digital learning were considered and more than 152 were signed into law.
"Though we have seen significant progress this past year, a great deal of work is still needed to modernize an outdated K-12 education system for all students," said John Bailey, executive director of DLN. "The purpose of the report card is to highlight progress and provide states with policy examples for creating the conditions necessary to support high quality, next-generation models of learning."The full report highlights states that are making strides in offering high-quality digital learning options and identifies opportunities for reform. State policymakers should adopt a sense of urgency around advancing bold policies that address the following 10 issues:
- Use digital learning to accelerate education reform;
- Make an unwavering commitment to quality;
- Expand course choice;
- Expand student eligibility;
- Reform funding streams;
- Fund the student, not the institution;
- Embrace competency-based education;
- Create space for innovation;
- Accelerate the shift to digital content; and
- Improve data collections around participation in next generation models and outcomes
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts