TEMPE, Ariz., April 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The US Airways Education Foundation will award $270,000 in grants this year to nonprofit organizations in the airline's hub cities of Charlotte, N.C., Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C. Organizations may apply for a minimum of a $10,000 grant from the Foundation's Community Education Grant program at usairways.com/corporategiving starting April 1. Grants will be awarded to children's educational programs aimed to increase academic achievement for those they serve. Since 1992, the US Airways Education Foundation has awarded nearly $4.9 million in scholarships and grants.
The grant application must be completed and submitted by 11:59 p.m. PDT July 1, 2013. The program is open to nonprofit organizations located within the airline's hub cities of Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington, D.C., with qualifying children's educational programs meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Educational programs that focus on learning and academic achievement for economically disadvantaged children age 18 and younger.
- At least 75 percent of the population served by the program must qualify for free and reduced price meals.
- Educational programs that focus on learning and academic achievement for developmentally disabled children age 18 and younger.
- At least 75 percent of the population served by the program must qualify for special needs education as defined by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Programs that increase student interest and academic achievement in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) for children age 18 and younger.
- Innovative, evidence-based programs designed to increase the participation and academic achievement of students in STEM.
The following organizations received $10,000 grants last year:
- Charlotte, N.C. – Allegro Foundation, Discovery Place, Freedom School Partners, Junior Achievement of Charlotte and Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) of the Central Carolinas
- Philadelphia – Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia Inc., Chester County Futures Inc., iPRAXIS Inc., North Penn Valley Boys & Girls Club and Philadelphia Futures
- Phoenix – Arizona Science Center, Boys & Girls Club of Metropolitan Phoenix, Elevate Phoenix, Hands On Greater Phoenix and the Phoenix Symphony
- Washington, D. C. – Higher Achievement Program, Inc. and Resources for Inner City Children
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV