The S&P 500 dropped 0.45%, to 1,562.17 points.
Humana shares closed higher by 8.6% at $75.02 before the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services announced that costs per person would be lower in 2014 than in 2013.
Following Thursday's record close, investors appeared to be looking for an excuse to take profits, and less-than-expected data on U.S. manufacturing provided the justification.The Institute for Supply Management said its manufacturing index for March was 51.3, trailing the 54.2 consensus expectation among economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters. A number higher than 50 suggests that the sector is growing whereas a number lower than the threshold reflects contraction. Last month's report showed a 1.1 point increase to 54.2. "Right now I think everyone is anticipating the spring slide, and so everyone is looking for some kind of data to indicate which way the teeter-totter is going to tip," said Frank Fantozzi, CEO of Planned Financial Services. U.S. Steel lost 4% to fall to its lowest in almost seven months as the company absorbed the effects of the latest manufacturing report. The Dow Jones Industrial Average was off 0.04%, at 14,572.85 on Monday. The Nasdaq dropped 0.87% to 3,239.17. Tesla Motors (TSLA) was one of the top performers on the Nasdaq on Monday after the company announced that its electric sedan sales exceeded guidance and expected to show a profit in the first quarter. Shares jumped 16% to $43.93.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV